Thursday, May 1, 2008

Training partner!!


Nat and I training at the track
in Girona.
A training partner again!

Nat arrived in Girona nearly two weeks ago so it's been great to have a training partner! For the first week she was a little tired from the 36 hour travel (love airline delays) but this week she has picked up and felt much more comfortable training. It's a shock to her system as here I don't train until 9.30am or 10 o'clock so her usual 5.30am wake ups in Australia have been discarded for training "spanish time!"


My training has also improved over the last two weeks and my hamstring is holding up quite well during training but still gives me problems sitting. But I'm continuing with lots of treatment here in Girona with some great practitioners and also my daily pilates exercises. I also found a float tank just around the corner from our apartment which I tested the other day! I used one of these recovery and relaxation salted water baths at the AIS in 2000 during my preparation for the Olympics when I was injured and found them very beneficial. I came out of my 50 minute "float" feeling much better than I was before. I will try and have another before I travel to Russia next week.

A "fun" race in Madrid!

Sonata (2nd), Kjersti (1st) and Me(3rd)

Nat and I ventured to Madrid for the XXXII Gran Premio de Marcha de Moratalaz in Madrid last weekend. It was unseasonably warm on Saturday afternoon but we only raced 5km so it didn't really have any effect on our performances. However our two red cards at 3km certainly did but we weren't the only ones in that boat! Nat and I just cruised through to the end to make sure we didn't get DQed and came away with a decent training session. Kjersti Platzer continued her superb winning form with Sonata Milusauskayte from Lithuania (competing for Barcelona FC) was 2nd with me 3rd (23.04) and Nat 5th (24.23). The mens race was fantastic with a large crowd coming to watch the main attraction Paquillo Fernandez win in 38.28, which is a fantastic time considering the course was quite tough for all the walkers. Ilya Markov (Russia), one of the most consistent race walkers in the World over the last 18 years (World Junior Champ 1990!) was second after a great battle with Juan Molina (Spain).

Olympic Selection and World Cup

In my last blog I was waiting for the selectors to respond to my email asking about my Olympic selection. They have decided to wait until after World Cup and some of the other IAAF Race Walking Challenge events to name the third female walker even though I have the fastest time this year in my first race so it's a little disappointing. But I had to prove myself in international competition back in 1996 when I had an Olympic A qualifier (and third at the trial) so it's just another challenge!

So Nat and I depart on Tuesday for our three day journey to Cheboksary stopping off in Munich and Moscow for a night each! We will join the rest of the Aussie team in Moscow before travelling to Cheboksary on Thursday night! It;s great now because AA today reimbursed our flights so that's good news a week out from the World Cup. Should be lots of fun to race well and catch up with all our great international walking mates! I hope to be able to update you direct from Cheboksary but it might have to wait until I return to Spain. Thanks for your support.




No comments: