Monday, January 19, 2009

A NEW YEAR!
Hi Everyone,
2009 has started well and I have been walking more and more each week with my injury feeling better but still not 100%. I will have to make a decision soon about my plans for 2009. I’m also keeping myself occupied by organising an event: Salmat Fun Run and Walk at Yarra Bay (on Botany Bay, near La Perouse in Sydney) on 1st March to raise funds for Ian Thorpe’s Fountain for youth www.ianthorpesfounatinforyouth.com.au The Fountain for youth raises money for education and health programmes for indigenous children throughout Australia.

I’m also organising with my club Randwick Botany Harriers an Indigenous Youth Coaching Clinic on 28th February at Yarra Bay as well. I grew up at Little Bay and attended La Perouse School and there were a lot of super talented aboriginal kids; more talented than I! So I thought it would be great to get some of the local kids excited about athletics and hopefully long term participation. The coaching clinic is free with the financial assistance of NSW Sport and Recreation. After the clinic all the kids and their families will travel by bus out to watch the best Australian athletes compete at the Sydney Track Classic with free tickets courtesy of Athletics NSW and Athletics Australia.

I’ll update with the website and other details on how to enter soon!


SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS!
At the end of last year I was featured on the South Sydney Rabbitohs website. They're the Rugby League Team I've supported all my life. They're playing back at their old home ground at Redfern on February 7th and it will be the only game I see them play in 2009 because of my hectic overseas schedule.
This is a photo of me at Redfern Oval: Home of the Rabbitohs
FROM an interview on www.rabbitohs.com.au :Olympian Jane Saville Renews her 2009 Membership 05 Nov 2008

Australian Olympian Jane Saville has renewed her 2009 Rabbitohs Membership this week, showing her continued support for the team she loves.
The official Rabbitohs website, www.rabbitohs.com.au, spoke to Jane about her support of the Rabbitohs and why she becomes a Member each and every year.

How long have you been a Rabbitohs supporter?
All my life. It’s in my blood. My whole family are Souths supporters.


How did you become a Rabbitohs Member?
Well my father played grade for the Rabbitohs many years ago and my cousins played in the Juniors so we had no choice but to follow the mighty Rabbitohs. I’ve been a Member for the past 10 years.


Why is Ticketed Membership important to you and why do you think it’s important to the Rabbitohs?
I believe Membership is about belonging to the Rabbitohs community and supporting the Club in the best way possible. When we were excluded, it was great to see the Members and supporters band together for the fightback.
As an athlete, there’s nothing better than having the crowd cheering you on and I know the Rabbitohs players would feel the same when the Members are cheering them on at ANZ Stadium.


What has been your favourite moment as a Rabbitohs Member?
There are so many highlights but I would have to say that anytime we beat the Roosters is always special.


Who is your favourite Rabbitohs player?
I love seeing the Juniors come through the ranks and that’s why Nathan Merritt is my favourite player. Nathan played for the Alexandria Rovers as did my father.

Where do you think the Rabbitohs will finsh in 2009?
We’ll make the finals for sure in 2009 and then on to bigger and better things in 2010.


Will you be attending the Return to Redfern match here at Redfern Oval next year?
If I’m in the country and not off competing somewhere I’ll definitely be there. I can’t wait to see the team once again on Redfern Oval.




No comments: